17th November 1960, a dream came true. The foundation stone of the first agricultural university in the Country was laid by the then Prime Minister of India Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru. The roots of an Institution with difference, an institution oriented towards academic excellence in various fields came into existence. The U. P. Agricultural University now called as Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture & Technology was established in 1960 by an act of the Uttar Pradesh State Legislature, enacted in 1958.
The University is situated at Pantnagar in the lush green tarai of the Kumaon range of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand. The climate at Pantnagar is pleasant for most part of the year. From mid-October to mid-March, the weather is cold and one requires sufficient woolen clothes and blankets. During this period, days are, generally, flooded with bright sunlight and nights are chilly. March and April present a temperate weather. May and June are pretty hot. The monsoon sets in mid-June and lasts till September. Mosquito nets are essential at Pantnagar. The University has a sprawling campus having modern amenities for extra-curricular and co-curricular activities. The district town, Rudrapur(U. S. Nagar), is about 12 km west of the Administrative Building of the University.
Pantnagar is about 250 kilometers from Delhi, 360 kilometers from Lucknow, 90 kilometers from Moradabad, 75 kilometers from Bareilly and 65 kilometers from Nainital by road. It is connected to the rest of world by the Delhi Nainital National Highway and the Bareilly Nainital Highway. A large number of state and interstate buses fly on these roads. Pantnagar Railway Station, on the Lucknow, Bareilly, Lalkuan section of North East railways, is about 4 km east of the University administrative building. Haldi road Railway station, On the Delhi Rampur Kathgodam section of northern and north eastern railways is about 3 kilometers west of the University Administrative buildings.